An Informative Guide: How to Use Spoiler Tags on Discord
An Informative Guide: How to Use Spoiler Tags on Discord
- Discord, a frequently used messaging platform, is popular for connecting with like-minded people in community servers.
- Spoiler tags are useful to hide certain messages that are meant to be suspenseful for others in the community.
- You can add a spoiler tag to your Discord messages on any device such as on Windows, Mac, or through the Discord app for Android, iPhone, or iPad.
Discord is one of the most popular platforms to connect with various communities of like-minded people. The VoIP, instant messaging, and digital distribution platform, Discord has been exclusively designed for users to communicate over voice calls, video calls, or by exchanging texts, media, and files in private chats. Apart from these useful features, this messaging app offers a lot of other features that are nowhere to be seen on other chat platforms. One of the recently added useful features is the Spoiler Tag.
What’s the Use of Spoiler Tags?
If you have never used spoiler tags, they can be so useful for you if you frequently indulge in conversations on Discord.
Has someone ever spoilt the thrill or suspense of a movie before you have watched it? That’s why spoiler tags came into existence so that no one can spoil the suspense of a movie or anything without your permission.
You are discussing a movie or something that can spoil the fun for others in the community. You can prevent this by adding a spoiler tag to the message or image carrying the suspense that you are going to send on the chat server.
Using a spoiler tag with the message or image will black out its content so that no one will be able to see it except for the ones who click on the blackout message. Clicking on the message will let you see the content.
Here is how a spoiler tag looks like:
The part of the message that has been blacked out here is done using a spoiler tag. So you can also use a spoiler tag for the complete message or just for a part of it.
How to Add Spoiler Tags on Discord on Desktop?
You can easily add spoiler tags to text and images that you send on Discord using the information provided further.
Adding Spoiler Tags to Text Messages on Discord
To add a spoiler tag to a text message, you can follow the given methods:
- The easiest way to mark a text message or a part of it as a spoiler by highlighting the text and clicking on the eye icon. This will mark the highlighted part as a spoiler.
- After you have marked the text as a spoiler, you will see two bars at the start and the end of the selected text.
- In the chat server, type ‘/spoiler’, followed by your message, and then hit ‘Enter’.
|For Instance, type “/spoiler Wumpus McWumperton dies in the next season of Discord High”Doing this will black out your message as shown in the image below:|
- Alternatively, you can add two vertical bars at the start and at the end of the message and the message would be displayed as a spoiler.
|For instance, type “||this is a message||” and this will also mark your message as a spoiler.|
That’s how you can add a spoiler tag to your text messages and whosoever wants to read it from the Discord community have to click on it; doing this will remove the black cover from the text message and the content will be visible.
Adding Spoiler Tags to Images or Attachments on Discord
Spoiler tags can also be applied to images or attachments that you send to a Discord server. The above steps won’t work in this case, and you get the option to mark images or attachments as spoilers while you upload them.
To add a spoiler tag to an image or attachment through the Discord website or the desktop app:
- Drag and drop the file you want to send into the server chat or click on the (+) sign given next to the chat bar.
- You will see a preview of the attached file before it is sent in the chat.
- You will see a checkbox “Mark as Spoiler” to hide the image or attachment after it is sent and then click on the “Upload” button.
- After the image is sent, it will appear in Discord hidden with a spoiler tag. The person who wants to view the image or file has to click on the image. This will remove the spoiler tag and will display the content the image or the file has.
Adding Spoiler Tags to a Link on Discord
If you want to mark a link as a spoiler, simply add the two bars in front and back of the link URL as shown in the image below:
How to Add Spoiler Tags on Discord on Mobile?
You can also mark your text as a spoiler on Discord using the same Markdown syntax that works on desktop as well.
- Text- Wrap your text in bars || like this|| and the spoiler tag will be automatically added when you post it.
- Links- To make a link into a spoiler, put your link in bars
To mark your text as spoilers, select the text in the text box and tap it to open the menu; tap Mark as Spoiler to wrap the selected text in bars, and on posting the text will appear with a spoiler tag.
That’s how you can mark spoilers on discord mobile discord spoiler image mobile
Note- Spoiler tags can only be added to images or attachments using the Discord website or the Discord app for Windows or Mac but not in the mobile apps.
How to Turn off the Spoiler Tag Feature on Discord?
If you don’t fear the spoilers and want to disable this feature, you get a few options to choose from:
- Firstly, go to User Settings> Text & Images
Note- You can only disable the Spoiler Tag feature on the Desktop/Browser app. You cannot hide spoiler tags on discord using your mobile.
- In the ‘Show Spoiler Content Section, you can control when spoiler content is displayed.
- On Click- It will only show the spoiler content when you click on it.
- On Servers I Moderate- You get the role with Manage Messages enabled
- Always- This will completely turn off the spoiler tags and all the content will be displayed.